Authorization requests from ICQ users

Misha Shnurapet zayzayats at yandex.ru
Fri Jul 31 10:05:04 EDT 2009

Hello.

I am using the version 2.5.8 with the ICQ plugin. I live in Russia, and
this protocol is the most popular among the other ones. We here are
always having many fake authorization requests made by spammers as a
workaround to all possible message filters to spread commercials and
fake password-stealing links.

I would like to request the blocker functionality in Pidgin. That would
be blocking all authorization requests (and optionally messages from
people not on my contact list) coming through ICQ protocol.

I have tried a third-party plugin that can block this stuff, but it
requires me to enter a denial reason each time the plugin blocks a
request, and the pop-up window appears too often for me to feel
comfortable. :) I have talked to the plugin's author, — he found out
that it is impossible for to solve the problem with the means of the
plugin and requires a patch to Pidgin's code. I have looked through the
Pidgin website to report a bug. That is where I saw the notice saying
that the plugin issues are not assisted with. So I am requesting this
functionality in Pidgin.

Thank you.

Best regards,
--
Misha Shnurapet

  °v°   I ♥ Linux
 /(_)\  Download the free operating system here:
  ^ ^   http://fedoraproject.org