Unable to install pidgin in RHEL 5.3

Joe Chaves jchavesmi at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 14:36:08 EDT 2009

Hi,

I am unable to install pidgin in RHEL 5.3, I am using theadd/remove software
application and  it fails with the repo error message below:

"Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository:
pidgin-source. Please verify its path and try again"

This is the original repo file available at:
http://www.pidgin.im/download/centos_rhel/
*

[pidgin]
name=Pidgin for RHEL/CentOS $releasever - $basearch
baseurl=http://rpm.pidgin.im/centos/$releasever/$basearch/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://rpm.pidgin.im/RPM-GPG-KEY-pidgin

[pidgin-debuginfo]
name=Pidgin for RHEL/CentOS $releasever - $basearch - Debug
baseurl=http://rpm.pidgin.im/centos/$releasever/$basearch/debug/
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://rpm.pidgin.im/RPM-GPG-KEY-pidgin

[pidgin-source]
name=Pidgin for RHEL/CentOS $releasever - $basearch - Source
baseurl=http://rpm.pidgin.im/SRPMS/
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://rpm.pidgin.im/RPM-GPG-KEY-pidgin

I tried that and did not work, so I browsed the path for the file in the
pidgin site and edited the repo with below changes:

[pidgin]
name=Pidgin for RHEL/CentOS 5Server - i386
baseurl=http://rpm.pidgin.im/rhel/5Server/i386/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://rpm.pidgin.im/RPM-GPG-KEY-pidgin

[pidgin-debuginfo]
name=Pidgin for RHEL/CentOS 5Server - i386 - Debug
baseurl=http://rpm.pidgin.im/rhel/5Server/i386/debug/
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://rpm.pidgin.im/RPM-GPG-KEY-pidgin

[pidgin-source]
name=Pidgin for RHEL/CentOS 5Server - i386 - Source
baseurl=http://rpm.pidgin.im/SRPMS/
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://rpm.pidgin.im/RPM-GPG-KEY-pidgin
*
*
*I tried again and still failed with same error message, so I tried a manual
install and it did not work either.

Could you please advise on what steps are needed to get pidgin to install
and work correctly?
*

Thanks in advance

*--