Unable to install pidgin in RHEL 5.3

Stu Tomlinson stu at nosnilmot.com
Fri Jun 12 15:02:05 EDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 12:36 -0600, Joe Chaves wrote:
> I am unable to install pidgin in RHEL 5.3, I am using theadd/remove
> software application and  it fails with the repo error message below:
>
> "Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository:
> pidgin-source. Please verify its path and try again"

> [pidgin-source]
> name=Pidgin for RHEL/CentOS $releasever - $basearch - Source
> baseurl=http://rpm.pidgin.im/SRPMS/
> enabled=0
> gpgcheck=1
> gpgkey=http://rpm.pidgin.im/RPM-GPG-KEY-pidgin

> [pidgin-source]
> name=Pidgin for RHEL/CentOS 5Server - i386 - Source
> baseurl=http://rpm.pidgin.im/SRPMS/
> enabled=0
> gpgcheck=1
> gpgkey=http://rpm.pidgin.im/RPM-GPG-KEY-pidgin

Neither of these have the pidgin-source repo enabled (enabled=0), so yum
is getting a different definition of pidgin-source from somewhere else,
and it is that repo that is failing. Check what other files you have
in /etc/yum.repos.d/ (or even in /etc/yum.conf) define a pidgin-source
repo and remove the conflicting repo(s).

Regards,

Stu.