Sound Problem on Pidgin

Greg Miller r11rtrdr at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 3 09:49:54 EST 2009

I'm having a problem on version 2.5.4.  I have it running on Widows XP
and also Ubuntu Intrepid ver. 8.10.  I have the same problem on both
systems.  I installed Pidgin.  The Default Sounds worked OK at first.  I
attempted to change the sounds for Buddy Logs In, Buddy Logs Out,
Message Sent and Message Received.  I attempted to change them to the
same sounds used by AOL IM, since I used that application for years
before switching to Pidgin.

After I changed the sounds they work fine in Preview, but not when a
buddy logs on or off or a message is sent or received. I tried to
restore the sounds to Default but still the same result.  Preview works
but the actual event doesn't.  When I send a message the Enable Sounds
is checked in the Options Menu of the Conversation Window.

On my Windows system the sounds work OK on 2 user accounts that the
sounds were never changed from Default.  On Ubuntu it seems that
changing one account bolixxed both.

On the Windows system I uninstalled the application and reinstalled it
but no help.  Uninstalling it must not remove an .ini file or something
because as soon as I reinstalled it and started Pidgin it came up and
knew about the accounts I had on it before I removed it.

I've checked and Mute Sounds is not checked and Enable Sounds is set to
Always.

Any help would be much appreciated.