Cannot connect to Google Talk

ChO₂ chemistrydioxide at quantentunnel.de
Fri May 1 09:32:51 EDT 2009

Google does indeed offer Google Talk for non-Google mail addresses.
However, Google Talk accounts of this kind have actually JabberIDs that
look like "xxxxxxxxxxxxxx at id.talk.google.com" where xxxxxxxxxxxx is some
ugly number like "dkh498gah894h9348t". I thought that it might be
possible to connect to such an account using Pidgin by entering the real
JID. So I created a GoogleTalk account using a non-Google mail address
(for testing) and I eventually figured out what its JID was, but I
didn't manage to log in to that JID using Pidgin.

If you need help with finding out your real JabberID, you can contact me
on Jabber/XMPP, but I'm afraid this will not be useful for you. (My
JabberID is the same as my E-Mail address.)