David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Thu Nov 26 18:10:07 EST 2009

SapiMan 1985-34576dC wrote:

> network has a chat client based on javascript. I don't know about
> programming but if you created plugins for facebook chat client and
> skype I think this won't be difficult for you!

The two difficulties that are likely to arise here are:

1) the number of Pidgin users with programming skills and a personal
interest in supporting this protocol is likely to be small - almost
certainly only those in Spain or possibly Spanish speaking parts of the
Americas are likely to be interested;

2) to be able to program it easily, there needs to be a publicly
available formal specification of the protocol, otherwise the programmer
will have to reverse engineer the protocol from the official clients.

Facebook is quite popular, and I suspect the Skype plugin uses the Skype
API rather than directly implementing the protocol, which is almost
certainly a trade secret.

Remember that all the programmers are volunteers and will only work on
what interests them.  You may be lucky and there may be someone eager to
develop this, but, statistically, you may find it more likely that you
will find them amongst general free software writers in Spain.

You should be able to research the protocol documentation, and any
possibly legal restrictions in using it.

I am assuming that this is not just a re-branding of an already
supported protocol.

--
David Woolley