Notification for chat rooms

Robert Schneider robert.schneider at maroxx.at
Wed Oct 14 05:11:02 EDT 2009

Hi,

We are using jabber within our company. We have our own openfire server.

it seems to me that it is not possible to get notifications when people
write into a chat room. We have a single chat room where everybody is
present. The chat room is persistent in the buddy list. Now, if the
window of the chat room is closed the only hint that I get when someone
has written anything is that the font of the buddy entry gets bold. A
hint that is quite useless.

I tried Guification but it seems to me that it is only applied for
normal buddys, not for chats. Those small pop-ups of Guification would
be what I would like to have - with a content that shows the name and
the message.

How can I get this working? Can anyone help me with this?

I need a solution for both Linux and Windows machines.

Thank you,
Robert