Problems connecting to Jabber

Paul Aurich darkrain42 at pidgin.im
Wed Sep 2 12:35:22 EDT 2009

And Joseph Mays spoke on 09/02/2009 07:34 AM, saying:
> Two of us upgraded from Pidgin 2.6.0 to 2.6.1 recently, and lost the
> ability to talk to our internal jabber server. Connections would hang on
> login. This seems to have been a known issue with the new version of
> libpurple, and a "fixed" version of libpurple was made available. We
> tried the new version of libpurple a few days ago, and the behavior
> changed. Now we get "Server closed the connection" and get immediately
> disconnected. Is the new version of libpurple working for others, or is
> there something else we need to do to have it fix our Jabber problem?

Is your internal jabber server running ejabberd? If so, the newer versions
of Pidgin expose a corruption in the pubsub mnesia table (in short, the
table was not properly upgraded when the schema changed from ejabberd 1.x
to ejabberd 2.y).

If you're running ejabberd 2.0.0 or 2.0.1, the solution is to upgrade. If
you're running a newer ejabberd, the solution is to remove the pubsub_* (I
believe just pubsub_node*, but I'm not positive) tables and restart
ejabberd. Note that this will remove any pubsub nodes, so proceed with caution.

See https://support.process-one.net/browse/EJAB-939 for details (and
https://support.process-one.net/browse/EJAB-623 for the related issue).

If you're not running ejabberd, please attach the contents of the
Help->Debug Window when attempting to connect.

~Paul