Upgrading pidgin on HP Mini MIE

HOWARD CUNNINGHAM hlcunningham at bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 3 09:55:28 EDT 2009

I am a newbie to Ubuntu updating.

I have pidgin 2.4.3 and cannot connect to Yahoo messenger. On your web site you provided some instructions on running apt-key and generating pidgin-ppa.list in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pidgin-ppa.lst. I followed those instructions and generated the following file:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/pidgin-developers/ppa/ubuntu   None main

When I run the update manager I get:

Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/pidgin-developers/ppa/ubuntu/dists/None/main/binary-lpia/Packages.gz  404 Not Found
Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

My guess is that my file is invalid. On another thread I saw a user who did a manual change from 'None' to 'hardy'. That also did not work.

Can you help me?

Thanks in advance,

Howard Cunningham