Please support Audio and Video on MSN (was: hi pidgin)

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Fri Sep 11 10:06:28 EDT 2009

David Woolley spake unto us the following wisdom:
> security root wrote:
>> how are u, i hope your fine
>> i want asking about plus color in pidgin why don't supported and
>> sound/webcam in msn
>
> Part of this may be that the necessary information isn't forthcoming
> from Microsoft.  They are hostile to third party clients, and, in fact
> the current licence agreement for the official MSN Messenger client
> purports to forbid you from using unapproved clients, like Pidgin.

Plus colors are third-party.  They simply aren't implemented because
there has been no interest.  There is a plugin (or core
functionality?) to strip the tags, but not to render colors in the
blist.  This may require modifications of the blist itself, I am not
sure.

>> I hope that ths interested in the development of these properties as
>> much as possible
>
> I may be wrong, but my impression is that the core developers for Pidgin
> are not particularly interested in media support.  That would make sense
> to me as they are very different technologies from instant messaging.  I
> believe the exiting audio and video support only happened because of the
> Google Summer of Code, so you might be better off approaching Google to
> see if they will sponsor MSN support.

There has been work on this subject, I have no idea if/when it may be
finished.

You may wish to follow development before making comments like this.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.