Multiparty Chat

Mike Phillips patlaw at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 06:57:45 EDT 2009

I subscribed to this list to learn more about Pidgin so that I could ask
intelligent questions, but most of the discussions are about topics that
far exceed my understanding of Pidgin's capabilities. Currently, a
number of people in my group chat on a BBS using the site's internal
flash client. Not only does the board require a monthly or annual
subscription that is too expensive, but also the moderators are getting
extremely restrictive in what can be chatted. Therefore, I want to set
up a chat room that requires a login to access (membership required, but
not paid membership.) Some people would want to use a web interface, but
I would want to use Pidgin, as some others probably would.

Can you recommend a service to host the chat? Is there software that I
can install on my cPanel-hosted shared server account? Pidgin is my
current IM client for AOL and Yahoo, but it is amazing to see how much
more it can do.

Thanks!