Pidgin not working

Paul Aurich darkrain42 at pidgin.im
Tue Sep 29 17:00:57 EDT 2009

And Brian Morrison spoke on 09/29/2009 01:17 PM, saying:

>>> Hmm, might be a good idea if the error message that Pidgin creates was
>>> more descriptive of the real problem.
>>>

>> As I mentioned in my other email, Kellie's issue is *not* actually a lack
>> of SSL support on the server, but instead that the XMPP prpl needs to first
>> look for an error before trying to start authentication.
>
> Ah, so you're saying it doesn't actually do that?

Whoops, what I wrote wasn't what I meant to say.  Kellie's problem was the
host name mismatch.  The misleading error part IS a bug.  It should be
straightforward to fix that (just look for errors before trying to do other
things), although I haven't looked at the code.

>> (I'm probably going to change the account option to read "Require SSL/TLS
>> encryption")
>
> That would be sensible, lots of less knowledgeable users won't know
> that SSL/TLS involves encryption.

The cynic in me wants to say people won't know what encryption is either
:-P.  The other alternative I came up with is "Require secure connection",
but I'm unwilling to stipulate that checking that box would actually make
the connection secure (self-signed certificates, users clicking through
hostname mismatch warnings, the lack of end-to-end security, etc).

~P