Pidgin not working

Brian Morrison bdm at fenrir.org.uk
Tue Sep 29 16:17:09 EDT 2009

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 11:03:22 -0700
Paul Aurich <darkrain42 at pidgin.im> wrote:

> > Hmm, might be a good idea if the error message that Pidgin creates was
> > more descriptive of the real problem.
> >

> As I mentioned in my other email, Kellie's issue is *not* actually a lack
> of SSL support on the server, but instead that the XMPP prpl needs to first
> look for an error before trying to start authentication.

Ah, so you're saying it doesn't actually do that?

> Ignoring that, the message in the Buddy List reads "You required
> encryption, but it is not available on this server," where the pertinent
> account option is titled "Require SSL/TLS."  What would you suggest?

Well to be honest I'm not sure but it did seem to me that something
that is due to an incorrect server name in the account settings ought
to get an error message saying something like "desired host not found"
but I also realise that maybe the error you actually get is not that
simple to parse and extract useful information.

> (I'm probably going to change the account option to read "Require SSL/TLS
> encryption")

That would be sensible, lots of less knowledgeable users won't know
that SSL/TLS involves encryption.

--

Brian Morrison

                                                          Oscar Wilde