Saving Pidgin Changes

Programmer In Training pit at joseph-a-nagy-jr.us
Mon Apr 12 08:18:06 EDT 2010

On 04/12/10 06:42, David Griffith wrote:
> I have moved a number of Buddies to other folders and also tried to
> Remove some.
>
> These changes seem to be confirmed, until I re-open Pidgin at next boot.
>
> Is there something I need to do in order to save changes?
<snip>

To me, and I've had similar issues in the past, it's dependent on the
version of Pidgin being used and the protocol involved (or even the
service providing the protocol).

For services like Facebook Chat and Yahoo, the buddy lists are stored on
the server; the XMPP interface on FB chat will not recognize changes
made in Pidgin in my experience, you have to make the changes on
Facebook via the edit friends option under the account drop down.

The same might be true of Yahoo, I'm uncertain as I've not had issue to
take anyone off my friends list there. OTOH, AIM should recognize the
changes. I haven't had issue with AIM and Pidgin in several versions.
ICQ and MSN are a different story entirely and I've not had issue with
removing or changing the groups friends are in from those two services
because I've not tried to do either operation in at least 2 releases.

So, FB Chat XMPP (and I imagine the unsupported plugin): Have to go
through FB's site to mess with that list.

Yahoo, ICQ, MSN: Not sure what recourse you would have there, hopefully
someone with a more fluid list than my own will step up.

AIM: Should be no issue.

XMPP (Non-FB): Should also be no issue there.

All others: I don't use 'em so I don't know.

--
Yours In Christ,

PIT
Original content copyright under the OWL http://owl.apotheon.org
Please do not CC me. If I'm posting to a list it is because I am subscribed.