edit gtkrc config file

Daniel Atallah datallah at pidgin.im
Thu Apr 22 13:10:38 EDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 11:54, Bert Cooper <bertramc at starpower.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to change [Enter] to be {newline}; [ctrl]+[Enter] to be {send
> message}
>
> I'm using w98se, as default user

Windows 9x isn't going to match those instructions directly because it
doesn't really support multiple users.

> Instructions say I have to create or change file gtkrc-2.0
>
> I find a global file "gtkrc" [.nul] in c:\Program Files\Common
> Files\GTK\2.0\etc\gtk-2.0\
> since I have only default user, I don't have a per-user file named
> ".gtkrc-2.0" in C:\Windows\Profiles\[username]\
>
> the file gtkrc contains one line: gtk-font-name="sans 8"

This is the "global" file.

> I cannot find a file gtkrc-2.0

You wouldn't have one unless you created it.

> Q.1
>
> can I add the my-bindings widget to existing gtkrc or do I create a new
> gtkrc-2.0 for this widget, per instruction?

You *can* use the existing gtkrc file, but they would get lost if GTK+
was ever reinstalled.

You should create a new ".gtkrc-2.0" file to avoid your changes getting lost.

> the last line in this help section is unclear
> http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/Using%20Pidgin#WhatisagtkrcfileandwherecanIfindit
>
> "There is also a pidgin-specific file that is located in the configuration
> directory.
> %APPDATA%\.purple\gtkrc-2.0 on Windows"
>
> it's unclear whether %APPDATA%\.purple\gtkrc-2.0 refers to
> the mentioned "configuration directory" or the mentioned "pidgin-specific
> file."

".purple" is the configuration directory - ".purple\gtkrc-2.0" is the
pidgin-specific file.

> I have a directory C:Windows\Application Data\.purple\

Right, that is "%APPDATA%\.purple".

> Q.2
>
> do I need to create a new directory, gtkrc-2.0\
> and put in it a new file named gtkrc-2.0
> with the required "my-bindings" widget
> or,
> do I create a new file gtkrc-2.0 in the existing directory
> %appdata%\.purple\
> and put the widget in there?

The latter.

-D