support

Dave Warren lists at hireahit.com
Tue Apr 27 14:25:17 EDT 2010

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 10:48:29 -0700, Evan Platt <evan at espphotography.com>
was claimed to have wrote:

>On 4/27/2010 5:03 AM, Ashu Bajpai wrote:
>> Hello Sir,
>>
>>                Can you tell me if I am using Pidgin and i logged in by
>> using my yahoo account and if seperately on my system I logged via
>> yahoo messenger. Then will I be log off from Pidgin or both will work
>> simultaneously like I logged in my yahoo account via Pidgin and Yahoo
>> messenger from two places is it happen or if I logged in Pidgin using
>> yahoo account then I will be log off from yahoo messenger. Tell me for
>> other accounts also. Becuase I don't want anyone to use any other
>> messenger except pidgin.
>
>On almost every protocol I can think of, you can only log on once. If
>you try to log on from another computer, or even another client on the
>same computer, once you log on, you log out the other 'session'. So if
>you open up Yahoo Messenger, then log in, you're logged in via Yahoo IM.
>If you then open pidgin and log into Yahoo, it will log out your session
>on Yahoo IM - regardless if it's the same computer or a different computer.
>
>I know Yahoo, ICQ, AIM, etc work this way, not sure about say IRC or the
>other protocols.

AIM allows multiple connections, edit an AIM account and look under the
Advanced tab for a "Allow multiple simultaneous logins"

Virtually all XMPP services allow multiple connections.

MSN does, although pidgin doesn't support it at this time.

Yahoo does in a limited fashion, I believe you're allowed one mobile and
one desktop device at the same time, although it might only be the Yahoo
SMS gateway or similar.  I haven't used Yahoo in some time, so I can't
speak authoritatively on this one.

IRC allows multiple connections, although typically they need different
nicks.  However, if you use a bouncer, multiple connections to one nick
are possible too.