Quesion about using Pidgin for internal communication

Ananda Samaddar ananda at samaddar.co.uk
Thu Apr 29 10:50:49 EDT 2010

On 29/04/2010 09:50, Bielefeldt, Marcel wrote:
> Hello Pidgin support,
>

> we are thinking about the use of Pidgin as instant messenger in our
> company. If we have a instant messaging server instance (i.e. a Jabber
> server) is it possible to restrict the communication to internal
> communication only? Is it possible to define the buddy list with groups
> and the buddies within these groups and is it possible to  define which
> user can see which group? Is it possible to deactivate the possibility
> to add new buddies for all users?
>

> Thanks for your time.
>

> Regards
>
> Marcel Bielefeldt
>
> Project manager

Yes it's possible but it's not a Pidgin issue.  You would need to
disable server-to-server communications on the Jabber server, also known
as federation.  You would also need to disable various other servers and
protocols on your corporate firewall.  As far as I know, there's no way
to 'lock down' Pidgin itself.

Ananda