Installation package downloads further software

Daniel Atallah datallah at pidgin.im
Wed Aug 18 09:38:36 EDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 22:38, V S Rawat <vsrawat at gmail.com> wrote:
> I recently updated my old pidgin to latest release.
>
> After I downloaded the package, and ran the install, it went to site to
> download first gtk (probably) and then another package.
>
> I was already having a running pidgin, so I guess these sub-packages must
> already be in my installation and pidgin should use them instead of
> downloading them afresh, if there is no change in those packages, or even if
> there is change, it should give me option whether I want to work with old
> packages instead of downloading new ones (on the basis of time I have or my
> net recharge avlbl).
>
> when I cancelled download of those two sub packages, installer did finish
> the job, but on running, it said such and such software not found and didn't
> work.
>
> so I had to download some 25 MB fully offline installer package (having
> those two sub packages) afresh and installed that. it worked, but I feel my
> previous efforts in downloading that partial package got wasted.
>
> Please give it a thought. Make do with only those packages that you have
> made us download, no point having some software downloaded, and then the
> installed downloading yet another software when run.

The "online" installer will, by default, not download and install
anything that doesn't need upgrading.

Pidgin 2.7.0 and newer use a newer GTK+ version than the old version -
that is why the GTK+ download is required.  Unless our GTK+ package is
upgraded for future versions, you'll notice that the installer doesn't
attempt to download it.

-D