unable to authenticate

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Wed Dec 1 02:52:43 EST 2010

Nicholas Toll wrote:

> I have been receiving pop ups saying there is a problem
> authenticating, I have just installed pidgin on a new pc and have put

Authenticating with what?

> in my account name but it says account disabled, unable to
> authenitcate. My username is nicromaxx at msn.com.

I guess you mean MSN.  Your account name is of no use to the supporters
of the open source Pidgin IM client and Microsoft would not support you
for problems encountered with a client they say you should not be using
(they have a small number of named clients that they permit).

You will need to give all the normal debugging information, including
the version of Pidgin and the contents of the debug log.  As this is a
public mailing list, make sure you obscure any passwords.

Note that Microsoft made a very recent change, which requires that you
use at least version 2.7.7 of Pidgin, to avoid a certificate problem.

--
David Woolley