pidgin keeps revealing my real name.

Daniel Atallah datallah at pidgin.im
Sat Feb 27 12:23:07 EST 2010

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 23:28, Kate <k.victrix at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to learn how to participate in an IRC chat room for a forum I
> help moderate. I need to use my alias to do this... but Pidgin seems to be
> pulling my real first name from somewhere in my computer or modem
> settings... apparently it displays something along the lines of
> "jane@[whatever.number] has joined". I suppose maybe that's my IP address?
> Is there a way to disable or mask this?
>
> I'm using Vista and Firefox, if that helps. I know embarrassingly little
> about any of this, and any help will be appreciated.

The "name" part of that can be changed in the "Advanced" settings of
your IRC account.

As far as masking your IP address / host name, that is something that
has to be configured at the IRC server level, Pidgin can't directly
influence this.  You should look at the documentation for which ever
server you use to figure out if/how to do this.

-D