SMS

Paul Aurich darkrain42 at pidgin.im
Sat Jan 2 16:06:10 EST 2010

Please include the support mailing list on all replies.

On Jan 2, 2010, at 11:09, Larry Ostroff wrote:

> thx
>
> question - how do I set up accounts to send sms messages in pidgin?
>
> many thx
>
> > Yes, SMS is supported, via the mechanisms in a number of the protocols.
> > AIM has supported SMS messages (sending IMs to "+1" + ten-digit phone
> > number). Yahoo has supported something similar +<countrycode><phone
> > number> (maybe that's the same? Not sure) since Pidgin 2.6.0.
> >
> > ~Paul

You use the New Instant Message dialog, select a protocol that supports SMS (like Yahoo, which you use), and enter "+1<countrycode><phone number>".  IOW, instead of sending an IM to "darkrain42", you can IM +15105550100 to send a text message to (510) 555-0100.

~Paul