GTalk via port 443

Paul Aurich darkrain42 at pidgin.im
Tue Jan 26 10:49:57 EST 2010

On Jan 26, 2010, at 07:16, Дмитрий Комаровский wrote:
> Good morning everyone!
>
> I use Google Talk behind a firewall that only allows SSL connections
> for port 443. When I try to conect to my account from Pidgin, I get
> the error message "Unable to find alternative XMPP connection methods
> after failing to connect directly." Also, I noticed that Pidgin does
> not determine my public IP, but setting it manually does not help with
> the problem.

This setting in the preferences will not help connecting to Google Talk.  In order for it to work, though, you need to set a STUN server (stun.ekiga.net is a good one)

> Setting the talk.google.com server and port 443 manually
> doesn't help, checking the "Use old SSL port" checkbox doesn't help
> either.

It *definitely* won't work if "Use old SSL port" is not checked, so leave it checked.

> Other messengers, such as psi or exodus work perfectly and only
> require the port (443) and server (talk.google.com) to be set.
>
> The question is: How can I make Pidgin work with Google Talk from
> behind a firewall that only allows port 443 SSL connections?

Please attach the Help->Debug Window output from Pidgin trying to log in to your GTalk account.

> Pidgin version is the latest 2.6.5 on Windows XP SP3, firewall is
> Kerio WinRoute.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dmitry

~Paul