2 quick queries

Daniel Atallah datallah at pidgin.im
Thu Jan 28 09:54:34 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 07:13, K C <andwan0 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I am wanting to migrate from Trillian to Pidgin. I am going to use Log
> Converter+ to convert my Trillian chat history to Pidgin format. Will I be
> able to just put the converted files into Pidgin chat/history folder and it
> will work from then on? So if in Pidgin I want to browse through history of
> current user am chatting to, it'll browse through the previously Trillian
> logs?

That is a question for the "Log Converter+" folks, we aren't familiar
with that tool.
If the logs are converted such that they are the same as they would
have been had they been created in pidgin and put in the right place,
then it should work.

> Second query, am dual booting Windows 7 with Windows XP and Windows XP. With
> Trillian it was able to operate as live-already-install... ie.. run Trillian
> from another partition, even though it's not officially installed in this
> partition. How can I go about doing this with Pidgin? Can Pidgin operate
> without being officially installed in the current partition? I want to
> obviously use the same Pidgin with the same chat/history... from different
> partitions... Windows 7... Windows XP.. and Windows XP.

Yes, this is possible to do.
You will need to do some tweaking so that all OSes look for the pidgin
settings in the right place (unless you've done this at the OS-level
by making %APPDATA% point to the same place on all versions of
Windows).  The FAQ covers how to do this.

-D