Finch On FreeBSD TTY Console

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Sun Jan 31 15:29:40 EST 2010

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010, Programmer In Training wrote:

> Are there any known issues with Finch on a TTY console (ctrl+F1-F7)?
> I've been giving it a go the past few days and according to the man
> page, I should be able to use alt+ any number of letters for various
> functions (like alt+c to close a window). None of the alt+ controls work
> for me. The only thing it catches is ctrl+c and then it asks me if I
> want to exit Finch. I ask because whenever I add a new account, I have
> to close Finch and reopen it to close the add account window. Is this a
> FreeBSD issue or a known issue in Finch (I forget which version exactly
> but it's the latest one in ports)?

Try escape [char] instead of ctrl-char.

I've run finch on FreeBSD under screen numerous times this way.  I don't
*think* I've run it on the console directly, but I may have done so from a
console, sshing into another machine (like when in a datacenter on one BSD
machine, connecting back to my "home" machine).

-Dan

--

Amerikanskaya firma Transceptor Technology pristupila k poizvodstu komputerov "Personal'ni Sputnik"

Translates as: 'American company Transceptor Technology commenced the production of the computer "personal sputnik"'

--Snap, "The Power"