Why all of the upgrades

Bill MacAllister whm at stanford.edu
Wed Jun 2 16:20:53 EDT 2010

--On Wednesday, June 02, 2010 12:46:49 PM -0700 Joelle Crepsac <jcrepsac at stanford.edu> wrote:

> Why is this program constantly being upgraded?

If you really wanted an answer to this seems like you should take a
look at the changelog.  There is a link off of the pidgin home page
to the latest changelog.

> I truly regret sharing it because it's CONSTANTLY revision versions.

What the heck does this mean?  You are reticent to recommend it because
it is under active development?

One of the ways that I evaluate software is whether it is being actively
maintained.  Software that is not being updated is likely to contain
unpatched security problems.  This is especially true of software that
implements an internet protocol, and pidgin implements several of them.

> Does anyone have any ideas when it will remain stable for 6 months or
> more?

Debian has a longer release cycle.  Maybe you should consider dropping
Windows.

> It's truly a hassle, and I'm considering using something more stable. Any
> ideas?

Hard for me to believe that even on Windows this is difficult.

Bill

--
Bill MacAllister, System Software Programmer
Infrastructure Delivery Group, Stanford University