Buddies are not staying in group

Paul Aurich darkrain42 at pidgin.im
Tue Jun 29 16:33:39 EDT 2010

On 2010-06-29 11:11, David Schwartz wrote:
> I have been trying to rearrange buddies into different groups.  I have
> been right-clicking, then choosing ‘move to’ and then clicking on the
> group.  It works at the time, but when I exit out of pidgin and log back
> in, the buddies are back in the old groups.  Any ideas what I may be
> doing wrong?

These groups are being enforced by your XMPP server; it sends you the
groups and does not allow modifications to them (libpurple currently
ignores the error responses from roster changes, although what to do if
we weren't ignoring them isn't exactly obvious).  The changes are lost
when you log back in because Pidgin treats the server's roster as canonical.

You should talk to Oracle's IT department about this.

~Paul