Buddies are not staying in group

Paul Aurich darkrain42 at pidgin.im
Tue Jun 29 16:37:16 EDT 2010

On 2010-06-29 12:42, Dave Warren wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 11:11:42 -0700 (PDT), David Schwartz
> <david.schwartz at oracle.com> was claimed to have wrote:
>
>> I have been trying to rearrange buddies into different groups.  I
>> have been right-clicking, then choosing 'move to' and then clicking
>> on the group.  It works at the time, but when I exit out of pidgin
>> and log back in, the buddies are back in the old groups.  Any ideas
>> what I may be doing wrong?
>
> What server/service are you using?  Not all services support groups,
> some (Facebook's XMPP server, for example) ignore/override your
> groupings.
>
> However, Facebook's XMPP server does honour lists you create on the
> Facebook web interface, your service might have an alternate way to
> maintain groups too.

He's an Oracle employee, so it's almost certain he's using the Oracle
XMPP service, which is known to do this (it's a fairly common complaint)
with their shared groups.

(We typically tell them to contact Oracle's IT department; I'm not sure
if anyone's ever come back and said "They told us how to manage
groups/how to work around it")

~P