Getting rid of Pidgin!

Kevin Stange kstange at pidgin.im
Wed Mar 10 00:14:44 EST 2010

On 03/09/2010 10:22 PM, Darlene Lee wrote:
> {Pidgin came on my computer.  It could just stay there even though I
> don't intend to use it.  Ever.  But every time I turn on the computer, I
> get 2 Pidgin windows reminding that I have listed no "buddies."  I have
> to get rid of these windows to carry on with using the machine and it's
> a pain. How can I keep them from appearing at every startup?  I've tried
> everything I could access and nothing changes, though at first I only
> had one of these things, so I've actually made it worse somehow.  Or
> should I just uninstall Pidgin to get rid of the windows.  If so, how do
> I do that and will it affect my email otherwise?  I am running a Linux
> OS, by the way, if that matters.   I will appreciate advice!

Do you know which Linux distribution you are using?  If you are not
sure, what type of PC did you buy?

If you're using something that defaults to Gnome's desktop environment,
Pidgin is probably just set as a startup program, in which case you can
go to System > Preferences > Startup Applications, then find Pidgin in
the list and uncheck or remove it from the list.

Some Linux distributions and environments have different methods for
doing this, so knowing more about your computer would be helpful.

Kevin