can't login to facebook acc

Dave Warren lists at hireahit.com
Mon Mar 29 18:23:00 EDT 2010

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 22:57:51 -0700, Mark Doliner <mark at kingant.net> was
claimed to have wrote:

>On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 10:24 PM, dionisius bramedya
><tuyul_manyun at yahoo.co.id> wrote:
>> why I can't connect to my facebook account?
>> i use the latest update of pidgin & latest facebook plugin from your website.
>> at I fill my username & my password & waiting pidgin to connect with my facebook
>> acc... pidgin always ask for capcha, and always ask for capcha. soo until now I
>> can't connect to my faceboook account. can you help me?
>> thanks, Dionisius Bramedya
>
>Hi Dionisius.  The Facebook protocol plugin isn't actually maintained
>by Pidgin developers, so we might not be much help.
>
>But did you know you can sign into Facebook using XMPP?  This might
>fulfill your needs.  More information here:
>http://blog.caseyho.com/2010/02/how-to-enable-facebook-chat-in-pidgin.html

This particularly issue was happening to me using XMPP to connect to
Facebook from both pidgin and Beejive, but I was able to connect to
Facebook using Beejive's Facebook connection.

(I've never attempted to use the Facebook plugin for pidgin, I've only
used XMPP)

The fix was to put my browser into private/safe/porn mode and login to
Facebook, that gave me a captcha and once I completed it, XMPP started
working too.  My guess is that going in with a fresh set of cookies did
the trick as during this whole time my primary browser was able to login
(and logout and login again) without a captcha being offered.

I can't reproduce the problem on demand though, so all I really know is
the "this is what happened to me" and "this is what I was doing when it
stopped", but if anyone else is having similar problems, it's worth
trying my steps.