Chatting with more than one buddy

Etan Reisner deryni at pidgin.im
Fri Nov 19 22:16:48 EST 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 07:12:20PM -0500, Kenneth Holley wrote:
> I've had several users complaining of the Pidgin window "hi-jacking" what
> they're doing when another user IMs them - for example, someone might be
> editing a Word document and the new message window pops-up and interrupts
> their typing.  What setting controls this?
>
> Thank you!

Entirely new windows taking focus is controlled by the environment
settings (so Windows/GNOME/KDE/etc.). pidgin doesn't ask for it it just
creates the window and lets the environment handle it however it does
that.

If new messages/tab in existing windows are doing this then that is likely
the Message Nofication plugin doing what the user told it to do.

If the environment is the problem and cannot be changed to fix it pidgin
has the option of hiding all new message windows by default which can be
turned on to work around this (rather annoying) environmental limitation.

    -Etan