Pidgin allows downloading my anti-virus alert!

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Wed Oct 6 03:09:14 EDT 2010

Siberoj Hejesor wrote:

> Pidgin - McAfee warned-says adware spyware or other.
>  Pidgin allows downloading my anti-virus alert!

The original message looks like it might be in something like Dutch:

Potentieel gevaarliijke download gedetecteerd.

In onze test bevatte deze download programma;s die sommigen beschouwen
als adware, spyware of andera mogelijk ongwenste programma's

I'm not clear from the original translation or from the original message
whether this is saying that it is adware etc., or that it can be used to
download adware etc.  It also doesn't make a distinction between adware
and truly malicious software.

ALL instant messaging services that support file transfers support the
downloading of malware and that is why many IT managers ban them in
their offices (the other is time wasting).  This is basically a social
engineering problem.  IM users tend to include a lot of people who like
sharing dodgy software and will accept file transfers from friends, or
even anyone, without thinking about the risks.

Also, most if not all free instant messaging services, at least when
used with the official client, are adware - why else do you think they
are provided free (there may be a mild spyware aspect, as in Google
mail, etc.).  One of the reasons that messaging providers often don't
like Pidgin is that it bypasses their advertising.  I can't remember the
outcome, but there was discussion about the fact that the original MXiT
plugin had specific code to provide an advertising stream.

Someone needs to provide a better English translation of the message,
but I think you need clarification from McAfee.  It seems to me that is
pretty much impossible for a multi-protocol instant messaging client not
to end up serving adverts and being used to propagate Malware.  I think
you need to make a detailed analysis of the risks and decide whether you
want to use particular IM services at all, and how you will use them safely.

> Please, look at the picture Are you >>>
> http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/3337/pidginmcafeewarnedsaysa.jpg

Thanks for providing a subject that is actually relevant to the issue,
rather than the "help" or "urgent", or "Pidgin problem", common to the
list, but it is also better to include the text of messages in the body
of a message, rather than as screenshots.  PNG is a much better format
for most screenshots.

With either interpretation, the McAfee message is too general to be very
useful for any program that is used to communicate between people over
the internet.

At the moment, I actually consider Norton Internet Security to be the
worst adware that I have!

--
David Woolley