fetion

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Sat Oct 9 19:01:07 EDT 2010

On 10/08/2010 05:26 PM, David Woolley wrote:
> fetion 0.97 is the plugin.  I guess this means it is a third party
> plugin and not supported here.  For 0.97, there seems to be no
> documentation or copyright statement in the source tree, so I can't work
> out where the official support channel is.  (Actually a couple of files
> have copyright notices for Thomas Butter, and GPL claims, but I think
> they are the result of an illegal derivation of the code - it doesn't
> meet the GPL distribution requirements ("Copying", proper copyright
> notices), even if it was intended to do so. (Unofficial Chinese
> translation of GPL:
> <http://www.certifiedchinesetranslation.com/openaccess/gnuv3-tc.html>)

For the record, Pidgin is GPLv2 or later, not GPLv3.  Thus any derivative works
need only comply with the terms of GPLv2.  There is no requirement within the
GPLv2 that states that the COPYING file must exist; so long as the source
distributed is clearly labeled as being licensed as GPLv2, the source itself can
be considered compliant with the terms of the license.  In this particular case,
it would be best to contact the authors of the plugin in question and get them
to properly label their source with the correct license.

John