Pidgin connection time out error to Facebook

Ann Marie English ann_marie_english at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 18 12:35:33 EDT 2010

Hi Support,

I am hoping you can help me.
I had Pidgin on my machine a few months back but could never get it to work so I uninstalled it.
Now though I have decided to give it another try.

However I still cannot get it to connect to my Facebook account. Even though I have set it to no proxy within the accounts.xml file I can see settings for the proxy setting:

<proxy>
            <type>none</type>
            <host>dublinsbs</host>
            <port>8080</port>
            <username>alchemysoftware\annmarie</username>
            <password>W0rldR3cord</password>
</proxy>

Note the password which is stored in that file would have been my password a few months ago when I was trying to get it to work previously with plugin pidgin-facebookchat-1.67.exe
Note now though I have it set up to use the XMPP. I have attached the screenshots of my settings.

I know you do not use the registry, and I have tried to find this password in my cache, but to no avail.

Other errors in the log indicate I am still using a proxy even though I have set it to no proxy:

(17:33:49) proxy: Error connecting to chat.facebook.com:5222 (Connection timed out.).
(17:33:49) proxy: Connection attempt failed: Connection timed out.
(17:33:49) jabber: Couldn't connect directly to chat.facebook.com.  Trying to find alternative connection methods, like BOSH.
(17:33:49) dnssrv: querying TXT record for chat.facebook.com: _xmppconnect.chat.facebook.com
(17:33:50) dnssrv: Couldn't look up TXT record. DNS server failure. (9002).

Can you please tell me what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks,
Ann Marie