Any plan to provide deletion/ forward of mails from accounts

Kevin Stange kstange at pidgin.im
Mon Sep 20 03:59:53 EDT 2010

On 09/20/2010 01:09 AM, V S Rawat wrote:
> pidgin has a lovely feature that it shows the number of mails in one or
> all accounts and the header details of them. A very useful thing.
>
> After reading the header, it also provides us facility to log in to the
> account and do the needful on the mails.
>
> But, if we find that some mail is not required, and we just wish to
> delete that mail (or those particular mails) without bothering logging
> into our accounts in browser, is there any plan to provide deletion of
> mails from accounts right here from the pidgin mail window?

To the best of my knowledge, there are no protocols which currently
provide a way to ask for a message to be deleted.  The protocols provide
only notifications of unread messages in a mailbox associated with an IM
account.  Therefore, this is not likely to ever be implemented.

Pidgin will certainly not ever log into a webmail or IMAP account to
identify and delete messages as it is not an email client.

> And some forwarding thinggy to forward one or mails to a given id will
> also come very handy.

To forward the information or actual messages?  The protocols do not
generally expose the content of the messages, just that they exist and
some header information so you can decide whether it's worth logging in
to check your email.  Manipulation of email messages is best done using
a mail client.

> Thanks.
> --
> Rawat