visibility settings for googletalk not working? [was: visibility settings per account]

Scratch csperber at io.com
Wed Apr 27 11:10:56 EDT 2011

re-visiting this old question with an update... have been trying to set
a status where I am visible in my AIM account but invisible in my gtalk
account.

despite installing the GTalk invisible plug-in, googling extensively for
solutions and trying several of them, and creating a few custom
statuses, this still eludes me.

In the custom status options, the "use different statuses for some
accounts" originally did not include an "invisible" option for the
googletalk account. So instead, I created a status with the primary
status set to "invisible;" then under "use different statuses for some
accounts" I set the status of the AIM account to "available." I would
connect as "invisible," then select this custom setting, and I thought
it was working as desired: invisible in gtalk, visible in AIM.

I THOUGHT I had tested and confirmed that it worked... but... (I wont
need to use this status much until a few weeks from now)...

Now I cannot be invisible at all in the googletalk. account.

I do see that I can in fact now choose "invisible" as an option for
googletalk under "use different statuses for some accounts." But whether
I use that custom setting, or just change my global status to
"invisible," I remain visible to people in gtalk, if that account is
enabled.

Perplexed. This would be a very useful feature for me, don't know what I
am missing here. (The googletalk account is set up to use the XMPP
protocol; tried changing it to "googletalk" but it reverts to XMPP. It
is a google apps googletalk account, under a managed domain, if that
makes a difference...)

Thanks for any help here.