visibility settings for googletalk not working? [was: visibility settings per account]

Daniel Atallah datallah at pidgin.im
Wed Apr 27 14:27:11 EDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 11:10, Scratch <csperber at io.com> wrote:
> re-visiting this old question with an update... have been trying to set a
> status where I am visible in my AIM account but invisible in my gtalk
> account.
>
> despite installing the GTalk invisible plug-in, googling extensively for
> solutions and trying several of them, and creating a few custom statuses,
> this still eludes me.
>
> In the custom status options, the "use different statuses for some accounts"
> originally did not include an "invisible" option for the googletalk account.
> So instead, I created a status with the primary status set to "invisible;"
> then under "use different statuses for some accounts" I set the status of
> the AIM account to "available." I would connect as "invisible," then select
> this custom setting, and I thought it was working as desired: invisible in
> gtalk, visible in AIM.
>
> I THOUGHT I had tested and confirmed that it worked... but... (I wont need
> to use this status much until a few weeks from now)...
>
> Now I cannot be invisible at all in the googletalk. account.
>
> I do see that I can in fact now choose "invisible" as an option for
> googletalk under "use different statuses for some accounts." But whether I
> use that custom setting, or just change my global status to "invisible," I
> remain visible to people in gtalk, if that account is enabled.
>
> Perplexed. This would be a very useful feature for me, don't know what I am
> missing here. (The googletalk account is set up to use the XMPP protocol;
> tried changing it to "googletalk" but it reverts to XMPP. It is a google
> apps googletalk account, under a managed domain, if that makes a
> difference...)
>
> Thanks for any help here.

Basically, you can't really reliably use "invisibility" for google talk.

Pidgin doesn't support using an invisible status for XMPP (and even if
it did, Google Talk's invisibility doesn't use any of the standard
XMPP implementations).

See the following ticket for plenty of details:
http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/4509

The email you replied to is unrelated to the issue you're having.