Facebook

Dave Warren lists at hireahit.com
Tue Aug 9 02:22:09 EDT 2011

On 8/8/2011 12:53 PM, we are the JOE wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does Facebook chat still work through Pidgin? Mine stopped working
>> and I'm not sure whether it's me only or the format has changed maybe?
>>
> Are you using the old Facebook plugin, or are you setting it up as an
> XMPP account?  The former stopped working over a year ago and should
> be uninstalled if you have it. Visit
> https://www.facebook.com/sitetour/chat.php and click on Pidgin for
> detailed setup instructions to make sure you're doing it right.

Aren't those instructions a bit out of date now that pidgin has Facebook
(XMPP) alias built-in?  The new alias should handle all of the
configuration automagically, with the user only needing to figure out
their username and password.

That being said, the Facebook page does provide correct information,
especially including the username since it's not always intuitive what
username should be used.