Custom groups aren't retained by Pidgin on Openfire server

Rob Dunn RobD at rockfordortho.com
Tue Aug 30 12:35:32 EDT 2011

I'm running 2.10.0 against my Openfire 3.7.0 server.  I have a number of shared LDAP groups set up in Openfire, so, as I log into Pidgin, I have a set of predefined groups already presented to me.  To replicate the problem, I do the following:

1.       Create a custom buddy group in Pidgin called 'Test'

2.       Add buddies from Openfire (from shared/pre-defined groups) server to the 'Test' group.

3.       Close/re-open Pidgin

4.       'Test' group is there, but empty

5.       Open Spark, 'Test' group is not there at all
If I open Spark, perform the same steps, the group and members are retained. Opening Pidgin presents the created (from Spark) test group and added members. So, it seems like the problem really is Pidgin, or rather, how it interacts with the XMPP server/protocol.
If I repeat these steps for my Google Talk buddies, the group and members are retained.
Has anyone run into this limitation, and if so, what did you do?
Thanks,
Rob

ROCKFORD ORTHOPEDIC ASSOCIATES RESTRICTED This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender via e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.