How to use two profiles in Pidgin?

Dave Warren lists at hireahit.com
Sat Dec 17 09:41:26 EST 2011

On 12/17/2011 2:59 AM, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> My Operating System is Debian GNU/Linux Squeeze/6.0 and  I  work  in  an
> intranet with a central fileserver where my ${HOME} is stored.
>
> I have to work with three different workstations and I call it simple
>
>      1)  electronic
>      2)  it
>      3)  office
>
> now if I start pidgin, it force me to open  all  three  Jabber  accounts
> and even IRC chats on all three machines parallel and there is  an  huge
> interference between.
>
> My qustion is now:
>      How an I run three independant profiles from three
>      independant Computers from one Linux account?

I'm not really sure what you mean by "interference between them",
internally pidgin isolates accounts from each other so that they don't
conflict or interfere with each other.

If you wanted to have separate pidgin profiles, you could use the
PURPLEHOME environment variable or the -c command line to override the
data path that pidgin uses.

Another option might be to create saved statuses that put certain
accounts online or offline as needed, this will let you quickly switch
between groups of accounts (and you can combine sets of accounts when
desired)

--
Dave Warren, CEO
Hire A Hit Consulting Services