How to use two profiles in Pidgin?

Michelle Konzack linux4michelle at tamay-dogan.net
Tue Dec 20 08:19:18 EST 2011

Hello Dave Warren,

> I'm not really sure what you mean by "interference between them",
> internally pidgin isolates accounts from each other so that they
> don't conflict or interfere with each other.

Explanation:

A)  I have ONE central Intranet Server which hold the users ${HOME}

B)  I have three workstations which access the same account on the
    Intranet Server
    1)  ITSystems
    2)  Electronica
    3)  Office

This mean, the directory ~/.purple/ is shared by all three workstations

Now I have three Jabber accounts

    1)  linux4michelle at jabber.ccc.de
    2)  electronica at jabber.ccc.de
    3)  michelle.konzack at jabber.ccc.de

and I want to use the accounts on the appropriated Workstation.

> If you wanted to have separate pidgin profiles, you could use the
> PURPLEHOME environment variable or the -c command line to override
> the data path that pidgin uses.

Ha, that was, I was searching for!  Uff, I was not  aware,  that  Piggin
has such option.  I will try it out immediately.

> Another option might be to create saved statuses that put certain
> accounts online or offline as needed, this will let you quickly
> switch between groups of accounts (and you can combine sets of
> accounts when desired)

This does not work, becaue if I login on "ITSystems",  then  any  Pidgin
connections on "Electronica" and "Office" are shutdown and now redireted
to "ITSystems"

So, the only solution is the seperated Data-Directory

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack

               Internet Service Provider, Cloud Computing
                <http://www.itsystems.tamay-dogan.net/>

itsystems at tdnet                     Jabber  linux4michelle at jabber.ccc.de
Owner Michelle Konzack

Gewerbe Strasse 3                   Tel office: +49-176-86004575
77694 Kehl                          Tel mobil:  +49-177-9351947
Germany                             Tel mobil:  +33-6-61925193  (France)

USt-ID:  DE 278 049 239