Gtalk login problem

Paul Aurich darkrain42 at pidgin.im
Wed Jan 5 23:43:03 EST 2011

And David Woolley spoke on 01/01/2011 03:26 AM, saying:
> Nick W wrote:
>
> What made me wonder whether there was a non-local DNS problem was this
> message:
>
>> (08:08:56) *jabber:* Recv (260): <stream:error><host-unknown
>> xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-streams"/><str:text
>> xmlns:str="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-streams">Set the 'to' attribute of
>> stream element to the domain part of the user's JID. Example:
>> to='gmail.com <http://gmail.com>'.</str:text></stream:error>
>
> "Host unknown" could be in the BIND sense, in which case it suggests the
> server can't resolve the host either, or it could be a reference to a local
> list of hosts, in which case it simply reflects the failure to use gmail.com.

As the text in the error indicatesI, this is caused when a client says "I
want to connect to jabber.org", except the client is connected to, e.g.,
Google's servers (which don't serve jabber.org).  Or, in this case, the
client says "I want to connect to the XMPP host 'talk.google.com'", except
the XMPP service is on 'gmail.com'.

From the XMPP soon-to-be-published-as-standard core internet-draft
(rfc3920bis):
4.9.3.6.  host-unknown

   The value of the 'to' attribute provided in the initial stream header
   does not correspond to an FQDN that is serviced by the receiving
   entity.

   (In the following example, the peer specifies a 'to' address of
   "example.org" when connecting to the "im.example.com" server, but the
   server knows nothing of that address.)

~Paul

* Amusingly, that's not at all an error message I'd want to present to an
end-user, and is making me rethink changing the jabber prpl to prefer those
messages to the built-in ones