SMS based chat application using Libpurple / performance / scalability

Mohd Eqbal Qur'an eqbal.quran at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 12:23:26 EDT 2011

Hi Folks ,

I'm building an SMS based chat application that connect through different
bridges ( hopfully using libpurple ), and some mobile operators SMSC .

I don't have an experience with libpurple , but it seems that it designed to
communicate with one client a time , now my Gateway will hold all the users
connections and it will have so many TCP connections ( instead each simple
IM client to communicate with the server , we will have alot of users to
connect using the gateway ). as for my solution , it will b like a gateway
to hold all the connections and to talk through so many accounts

I made some tests , and it seems that Libpurple can handle more than one
connection a time, but I need to ask any expert here to know what will
happen with so many connections from the same server ? is it gonna perform
will ? will it be stable ? any benchmarking to help me ?

Any help would be highly appreciated .

Thanks in advance .

Eqbal