Kurdish is not the official language of Turkey

Dave Warren lists at hireahit.com
Fri Jul 15 11:22:13 EDT 2011

On 7/15/2011 5:43 AM, David Balažic wrote:
> David Woolley wrote:
>
>> I suspect that is because the assumption is that the average Windows
>> user would not have found the OS' locale setting mechanism, so to
>> work well, it has to try and get things right without help from the
>> user.
> Not really. Most people have it as they got it preinstalled and usually
> it is in the local .... locale. At least in my country (Slovenia).

I took a bit of time to ask some of my ($DAYJOB) international partners
about this, and consensus is that virtually all of their machines have
correct locale settings.  The desire to have correct date and time
formats and working keyboards seems to be enough to motivate people to
pick their country in the drop-down, plus OEM gear will virtually always
be properly configured for the country in which it's sold (which
probably covers 99% of the people too dumb to pick their country out of
a locale list)

According to what I was told, the most common exception is people who
have a US-keyboard on a laptop, so they stick with a US-locale OS
configuration too, although you can still usually guess their region
from their date format settings.

While admittedly this comes from a corporate perspective, it doesn't
seem to be that big a deal.