Add Yahoo buddy to MSN protocol

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Sat Jul 23 06:38:26 EDT 2011

Computer Tech wrote:
> *How do I add a _Yahoo_ buddy to my _MSN_ protocol without opening a
> Yahoo account?*

I suspect that you will have to add them with an official, or other
supported client.  It is very unlikely that Microsoft will ever consider
Pidgin a supported client.

Adding the feature will cause "layering" issues for Pidgin, as it could
mean extending MSN specific features into the protocol independent user
interface.

What would probably help is if you could provide a legal copy of the
relevant protocol specification document (which I suspect is impossible,
as I don't believe that Microsoft would give permission for such use) or
you could provide detailed reverse engineering details on the protocol
exchanges when the official client adds such a buddy.

(I haven't checked the latest sourced code, but a relatively recent
version only seems to use MSN_NETWORK_YAHOO in comparison contexts, and
I suspect it would have to assign it to something if it had any support
for adding Yahoo buddies to MSN servers.)

--
David Woolley