DBUS - File signals don't work

Etan Reisner deryni at pidgin.im
Thu Jun 9 22:58:55 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 02:41:47PM +0200, Krzysztof wrote:
> I am listening for message and file signals. Message signals works fine, I
> can read params and get values from other objects but have problem with file
> signals. Example: FileSendComplete. I read XFerID and this is this same
> value which dbus-monitor show me, but when I try to get some value from XFer
> object (like "PurpleXferGetFilename") i get error: "PurpleXfer object with
> ID = 58284 not found". Is this a bug which should I report or am I doing
> something wrong?

The dbus signals are fired out-of-band (at least effectively if not
technically).

By the time your dbus script receives and processes the FileSendComplete
signal and contacts libpurple to request information about it the file
transfer "object" has likely already been destroyed.

Try using one of the other xfer signals and (assuming the transfer lasts
long enough) you should be able to query libpurple for information about
the transfer.

This "issue" is why scripts/applications/etc. using dbus cannot alter
messages inline the way normal plugins can.

    -Etan