Pidgin Ubuntu, D-Bus, remote X-server Windows

Bryan M. Kramer kramer at cogeco.ca
Sat May 7 13:04:21 EDT 2011

I find that I am unable to run Pidgin on my Ubuntu 11.04 (GNU/Linux
2.6.38-8-server x86_64) server when my X-server is Cygwin-X running on
my Windows 7 desktop.

The error message is "libindicate-ERROR **: Unable to get session bus:
Error connecting: Connection refused"

The internet and the Pidgin and D-Bus documentation has not shed any
light on this problem.

I have confirmed that D-Bus is running on the Ubuntu server. I suspect
that Pidgin is attempting to connect to D-Bus on the windows machine
because of the X display setting, but the documentation in all cases is
spectacularly useless.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.