Pidgin and Security

Linda_Hansen at cargill.com Linda_Hansen at cargill.com
Fri May 13 14:15:03 EDT 2011

Hello,
I am conducting a software review of Pidgin.  An employee has requested to use this product in our company's environment and we need to verify against any potential risk of information.

This appears to be a very good product and I can understand the request.
However, we have some concerns and would like some further information on the product.  Mainly, wondering how configurable it is?  Can some features be disabled?  Can the ability to add a plug-in be disabled?

Can you provide further information on the encryption capability?

What security features are built-in?

Are passwords still saved as clear text?

What, if any, is required to be installed on a server?

Any additional information would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Linda Hansen, CRISC
ETI Technology Risk and Controls
Cargill Energy, Transportation and Industrial
Cargill
direct: +1 952-984-3723 / fax: +1 952-249-4393
9350 Excelsior Blvd, #150 / Hopkins, MN 55343
Linda_Hansen at cargill.com<mailto:Linda_Hansen at cargill.com>

Confidentiality Note: This message is intended only for the named recipient and may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. Unauthorized individuals or entities are not permitted access to this information. Any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail, and delete this message and any attachments. Thank you.