Users being grayed out without being idle

Etan Reisner deryni at pidgin.im
Mon May 16 12:16:24 EDT 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 07:59:32AM -0400, Sam Weber wrote:
> I have pasted the debug log below for when the issue happened to user
> khildebrandt.
>
> (07:56:35) jabber: Recv (ssl)(297): <presence
> from="khildebrandt at fs4/cad122fe"
> to="sweber at fs4"><priority>1</priority><query xmlns="jabber:iq:last"
> seconds="300"/><c xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/caps"
> node="http://pidgin.im/" hash="sha-1" ver="I22W7CegORwdbnu0ZiQwGpxr0Go="/><x
>
> (07:56:35) blist: Updating buddy status for khildebrandt at fs4 (XMPP)

The
    <query xmlns="jabber:iq:last" seconds="300"/>
bit there is you being told the person was last active 300 seconds (five
minutes) ago.

So something is, in fact, indicating that the person is not active. If you
are certain the 'From last sent message' preference isn't active (and the
user isn't using something like the I'dle Mak'er plugin) then I'm not sure
what else could be going on.

It is also interesting, if that person has a status set to become active
on idle (and has idle set to five minutes), that they aren't changing
status there.

A debug log from the outgoing side might tell us something more (but I
wouldn't count on it).

    -Etan