Any ideas on a trick to disable pref.xml blist x/y positioning

Sascha Vogt FunkyFish at gmx.net
Fri May 27 06:56:35 EDT 2011

Hi Dean,

Am 27.05.2011 10:20, schrieb Dean Manners:
> This is slightly off topic, so don't flame me too hard.. I sync my .purple/
> with Dropbox between a multi-monitor desktop and a laptop (windows7).  This
> works brilliantly for me, except for one gripe - buddy list positioning. The
> buddy list lives at a different desktop location on these two machines.  But
> alas .purple/prefs.xml stores the x + y locations of the buddylist which
> gets synced across - making a continual chore of resetting my preferred
> buddy list position on starting Pidgin on either machine.
> My first approach was to try and selectively sync (not sync) the prefs.xml
> however Dropbox doesn't have such  an exclude mechanism (yet).
>
> Anyone have ideas on trickery to stop Pidgin from storing x/y positions in
> the blist pref of prefs.xml ?

Are you able to execute a script post-syncing? I think it should be
quite easy to hack some perl / sed / VisualBasic / whatever script,
which replaces that x/y positions with hard-coded values. Alternatively
- if Dropbox doesn't allow scripts, you can modify the Startup-Link for
Pidign to a batch-file first executing your script, secondly executing
Pidgin.

Not exactly a "nice" solution, but the only I can think of at the
moment. Tough I'm not a Pidign-Plugin expert, maybe it's easier to write
a plugin for such a thing (by e.g. getting the hostname and move the
blist accordingly)

Greetings
-Sascha-