Pidgin executable being corrupt while trying to start

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Tue Oct 4 04:58:01 EDT 2011

Mateus wrote:

> The print attached is the message I get when trying to run it. It is
> in Italian which translate as:
>
>     impossible to access the device, path or file specified. It
>     is verylikely not have the required permissions.
>
> (as I am not Italian I used google translate to this)

Why are you using an Italian localised Pidgin if you do not understand
Italian?  In any case, knowing the exact error message makes it much
easier to trace the exact part of the source code that is generating it.
  Whilst the actual messages in the code are in English, there are .po
files distributed with the code which allow you or someone trying to
support you, to match the localised error message with its canonical
form, but to search those easily, one needs the exact localised error
message.

> Anyway, the problem started without any reason. Just shutdown one day
> and starting in the following.

You need to find what changed.  If you can't work that out, the contents
of the debug window may give a clue as to what file Pidgin might have
been trying to access at the time.

Also, you should always identify the service you are trying to access.

--
David Woolley